I've had it in my brain for the last few months that I really wanted to garment duplicate my favorite striped tee: it's a great layering piece, it goes with almost everything, and it's comfortable without looking sloppy. It was also thrifted, has no tags, and is starting to pill, so I'd already started thinking about how to replace it in my wardrobe.
Finally, last week, I did a little patternwork and cutting, and yesterday, I put it all together! I started with some golden rayon/spandex (??) jersey I had in my stash, that I had intended to use in my collection but ended up nixing. I want to do it in stripes later, but I thought it would be a good idea to do an initial version to check the fit. I also decided to edge the sleeves and neckline in stretch lace, since I had a few dozen yards in my stash. (One of the hazards of designing a collection, on a deadline, in a city with no designer fabric sources, is that you end up with a lot of extra materials from panic-ordering three different options on the internet in hopes that one of them will work. Wheeeeee)
There are a few things I might tweak in my next version, but in the meantime, I'm really happy with my new shirt! It has a '70s sort of vibe, which has totally been my jam for the last six months or so. And other than some issues with my serger, this was only a few hours of very easy sewing, for a pretty great result!