We found out a few days after the wedding that there's a baby due in the family early this spring, so of course I immediately started scheming a baby blanket design for them. It's been a new challenge for me, since I'm not very baby-focused, thinking about the functionality as well as the look of a pattern. I want it to be the perfect blankie for dragging around, snuggling, and throwing in the wash, so I've had to nix a few ideas right off the bat: although I love lace, little fingers might get caught in the holes, and since it's meant to be transported and used every which-way, I want it to be somewhat reversible.
With these ideas in mind, I did a bit of swatching a few weeks ago with some Berroco Comfort DK. This yarn has the proud honor of being the only mostly-acrylic yarn I've ever enjoyed working with, so it has the convenience of acrylic yarn while still satisfying the texture snob in me. We haven't yet heard the sex of the baby, and I hesitate to give gender-normative colors to children so early in life anyhow, so I settled on this lovely clear aqua blue.
I think I've worked out a pattern I like, so now I just need to crunch some numbers and cast on!
In other news - for the last month or so, Mr. Mackie has been trying for the world record in vet visits per week. He's currently doing okay, but still angling to squeeze in one or two more. He had a broken tooth 3 weeks ago, an abscess a week after that, and so much inflammation near the abscess site yesterday that we took him to an urgent care vet. Poor little dude! We'll be taking him to his normal vet again tomorrow, and hopefully he'll be back to his bouncy self soon.
Glad to hear Mr. Mackie is on the mend. Love the knitting projects you've been posting... you're keeping busy!
Post a Comment